Self Care and Self Love
Self care and self love are two different elements that are often confused as one.
Self care: the practice of taking action to preserve or improve one's own health.
We must first practice self care in order to begin the process of self love. Self care is essential for our physical and mental well-being. It’s zoning back in to the world and our surroundings.
Physical self care is often associated with face masks and getting your hair done. Although these are great and definitely needed. It can be as simple as eating well, drinking water and exercising.
Secondly, we must understand that balance is important too. Some days your body may need that hard core gym session or your favourite Netflix show binge with loads of snacks. Listen to what your body needs.
Mental self care, is things like: setting boundaries, asking for help, saying no, having a routine, putting yourself first and spending time alone. It may even be switching your phone off and letting your brain rest, only you know truly what you need.
Why Is Self-Care Important?
Having an effective self-care routine has been shown to have a number of important health benefits. Some of these include:
- Reducing anxiety and depression
- Reducing stress and improving resilience
- Improving happiness
- Increasing energy
- Reducing burnout
- Stronger interpersonal relationships
Here’s a list of my 15 self care ideas:
- Read a book/watch a film you enjoy.
- Cook/bake something fun.
- Walk, spend some time connecting with nature.
- Take a power nap.
- Declutter a space in your home.
- Spend time with people who make you laugh.
- Do something nice for someone else.
- Create a sacred space in your home.
- Breathing exercises.
- Get your groove on (Alexa play top dance!)
- Have a bubble bath.
- Get dressed up.
- Go for a massage or visit the salon for that well needed glow up you keep procrastinating.
Self love: regard for one's own well-being and happiness.
I feel that self love is only recently becoming a known topic and why is that? Because we are told from young children the best way in life is to get on with it. Because by loving who you are you are labelled with a huge ego.
Now, I’m not saying I’ve mastered the art of self love however it is something I am working on every single day.
Our own biggest critic, funnily enough is us! The best way to avoid negative self talk is to first acknowledge we are speaking to ourselves this way. We then should replace this with something positive.
Self love is being confident in yourself and the person you are or becoming.
Here are the 15 tips that I’m working on:
- Stop comparing yourself.
- Don’t worry about others opinions.
- Be kind to yourself (positive self talk).
- Allow yourself to make mistakes, learn from them and move on.
- Let go of toxic people.
- Put yourself first.
- Discover what’s important to you.
- Accept and make peace with your insecurities.
- Be positive and surround yourself with positive people.
- Celebrate every single achievement.
- Connect with people.
- Give up the need for others approval.
- Be realistic.
- Practice gratitude.
- Compliment yourself every day.
In conclusion, everyone’s idea of self care/love will look different. We all live such busy lives and forget to look after ourselves in the process. Self care/love is not a luxury it’s an necessity!
Remember who you are 😉👑
- Lauren x